Journal of Dental and Allied Sciences

CASE REPORT
Year
: 2012  |  Volume : 1  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 79--81

Accidental Ingestion of Instruments in Pediatric Dental Patients: Report of Three Cases


Amey Panse, Prasad Jathar, Deepak Metha 
 Lecturer, Dept. of Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry, Sinhgad Dental College & Hospital, Vadgaon, Pune - 411 041, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Amey Panse
Lecturer, Dept. of Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry, Sinhgad Dental College & Hospital, Vadgaon, Pune - 411 041, Maharashtra
India

Very young children are at risk of swallowing or aspirating numerous household things. This risk is enhanced during dental procedures of these children as they tend to be very unco-operative due to their age and lack of maturity to understand the importance of the treatment. Use of physical barriers, sedation or general anesthesia is not practically possible in every child scheduled for dental treatment. Dentist must be able to manage emergency situations in which patients accidentally swallow dental instruments or materials during treatment and procedures. This article presents ingestion of dental objects in 3 children and attempts to discuss the management and prevention of such mishaps.


How to cite this article:
Panse A, Jathar P, Metha D. Accidental Ingestion of Instruments in Pediatric Dental Patients: Report of Three Cases.J Dent Allied Sci 2012;1:79-81


How to cite this URL:
Panse A, Jathar P, Metha D. Accidental Ingestion of Instruments in Pediatric Dental Patients: Report of Three Cases. J Dent Allied Sci [serial online] 2012 [cited 2021 Apr 12 ];1:79-81
Available from: https://www.jdas.in/article.asp?issn=2277-4696;year=2012;volume=1;issue=2;spage=79;epage=81;aulast=Panse;type=0